Monday 7 February 2011

Hidden Chapels Part II




The first stage after looking at the chapel is to draw it. I do individual sketches of windows, stonework, arches etc so the chapel is familiar to me and so that I can draw the main features of the building from memory, that is without looking at it.
So the small sketch of the windows done in acrylic helps me to understand the way the windows and arches are put together and how the patterning of the window frames and roof beams work. I am not really interested in the 'real' colours of the stonework though I have emphasised the different types of stone with yellow and blue.
The drawing at the top is my memory drawing of the building in its setting. I have overemphasised the size of the chapel as this is the bit that interests me even though its impossible to see this much from the road. The gates are also prominent as they add to the hidden properties of the chapel. I have emphasised the worn steps. On the right is the vermiculated render of the Black Lion.
The next stage will be to think about the colours that will be used in the final collage.

No comments: